Friday, September 22, 2006

News and Reminisces from the Home Front

OK, today maybe I can get the stuff posted…

Got a “new” book by Rhett MacPherson today at the library, the title is A Misty Mourning. These books are just so cool!!! I probably won’t get this one finished tonight, though, as I have already started a Margaret Coel mystery and I am trying to get into the habit of only reading one book at a time. Hard habit to break, reading up to five titles at once, but it is about time. Not like I am in college anymore. Thank gods, although I wouldn’t give up the time I did do in college because while there were miserable times (ad design class) there were also FABULOUS times (every minute spent with Dusty, John, Lisa, MaryLou and Giggles a/k/a Dawn).

Of course, all these years later the only one I still am in contact with is Dusty; which is excellent because other than John (who later developed an attitude issue – HIS loss), Dusty is the one that kept me going through thick and thin. While Mary was still a good friend long after college, we went our separate ways about fifteen years ago. Her life went down the path of perfection, and she didn’t condone some of my life choices. I didn’t exactly like some of them either, but I am the one that has to live with them and the consequences. So, considering that the only thing we have in common anymore is our memories and (hopefully) a love of sci/fi-fantasy books and art, and of course our birthday (she is one year older, nyah nyah…); I guess I shouldn’t lose any sleep or tears over her absence in my life. Guess what, I still think of her at least once a year; every December 30 I psychically send her a “happy birthday Mary” thought. And once in awhile something else will bring her to the front of my mind, a cool picture or something that triggers a certain memory. She is an excellent artist, or was, I always wonder if she still does any drawing anymore, since the last time we talked she “didn’t have time anymore” for her artwork. Sadly, I can’t draw a straight line without a ruler or the shift key, so I really admire those who can draw anything they want to.

Which brings me back to Dusty. That girl can PAINT!!! Somewhere in my lair I have a book of photos and poems and drawings/paintings, and in that book are some of the mini-watercolors that Dusty shared with me when she was in East Lansing (more cool memories!). One of the reasons I am trying to get the house cleaned and organized is to find that book so I can scan them and send them to her. I have a nagging feeling that the volume in question is in Alanda’s room, though; translation, look behind Amelia Earhart!

OK, got to end now. Accomplishments for the week include half of the living room cleaned, books sorted through, tapes put back on shelves, and George’s dresser cleaned out and sorted…. No wonder I am tired today!

No comments: