Friday, December 08, 2006

Friday Afternoon Ramblings

Wow. Read my fifteen year old daughter's column in this week's FrankTalk; I officially resign from writing anything more complicated than a grocery list! Might actually sign my name to some Christmas cards, too, but don't hold your breath on that one....

Was posting a comment to Dusty's blog and realized that I was typing enough for my own blog posting. So here I am...

I re-organized the yarn in the living room this morning, since I can't get to the old doll cradle that I relined and recommissioned as a yarn basket until we get the new stove moved and hooked up. Then I took donations to the local thrift shop, outgrown clothes and re-read books. Ended up seeing an old buddy from high school at the grocery store on the way uptown, and gave her the books instead. Since our reading tastes are the same (anything except romance), I only had to sort out about three books that I really don't know how they got into my possession. So she went home with a box and three grocery bags of books, and I know for a fact that they went to a good and appreciative home. She was happy because she had just ran out of stuff to read, and now she is set for at least a few days. {grin} I am happy because I have room on my shelves now and know that the books are going to be enjoyed. Happy Yule all around!

Then at the thrift shop, I ended up buying a cool-looking leather coat for The Boy, and --- my mind went for a vacation -- a huge grocery bag stuffed full of "Miscellaneous Yarn." And a size C crochet hook, and #3 sp knitting needles, and a plastic canvas cow face for my neighbor's kitchen... At least I left with less than I went in with! Which is always a good thing!

Ended up frogging the hat I was trying to knit on the dpn, apparently I need longer needles because the stitches kept slipping off the needles. So am going to try again later with regular single-point needles and the funky cool yarn. For the moment am doing another hat for stepdad on the sp, this one a little smaller than the last because he apparently has a small head. (My brother, on the other hand, has enough hair that I don't know why I am knitting HIM hats!) Now watch, this hat will be TOO small for dad..... If so, I will just tell him to go to a psychiatrist and get his head shrunk. Or use hotter water when he washes his hair, see if his head shrinks like my hubby's pants all seem to have done. And the doctor says he's losing weight, yeah right.

Ruthi's Winter Concert (high school band) was Wednesday night, and once again they were outstanding. Closing my eyes, I felt like I was in a symphony hall instead of a high school gymnasium. Plan on getting a copy of the recording the director made, soon as I find a blank CD. Desk-cleaning time again, send in the troops... I won't mention here the typos in the band program... but I did volunteer to compose the program for the Spring Concert. This year had an improvement over last year's concert: last December, the director decided to change "Christmas concert" to "Winter Concert," and the following day we had a huge blizzard that closed school and so forth. This year, in spite of the jinxing title, the weather has held with cold and dreary but no huge YuckyStuff like last year. Good thing, too, or I would have to have a few words with the director about a new name for the concert next year!

Liam wrote out his Christmas Wish List last night; actually, he dictated and I typed it on the computer, he got a kick out of that. Twenty wishes has my little guy; one of my favorites is for another kid on his bus to get coal for Christmas because he is mean. My other favorite is that he wants to meet his great-great-great-great-grandfather who was born in Ireland. Since James Bryans died long before I was born and started climbing the family tree, that is one wish I probably won't see him get. I don't even know if anyone in the family has any photos, am putting out a request to some cousins in an email right now. Be just my luck that all old family photos are in the possession of the Perfect Aunt, who not only doesn't care about family history, she doesn't seem to give a monk's fart about the family present. Yes, I am whining again. Oh frigging well, it's my blog and if I want to whine I will... send chocolate chip cookies! (YES, it is true that back in The Day, at college, I dunked my chocolate chip cookies in wine because we were out of milk. Bring back any memories, Dusty?!)

Have considered not posting anymore, because no one ever comments. But Alanda CLAIMS that she and Bailey read me, so we will see. HEY BAILEY, HAPPY FREAKIN' BIRTHDAY KIDLET!!!!! Yeah, the challenge has been issued, do they really read or are they just trying to get brownie points? Because there are no brownies until the oven is hooked up! Maybe not even then, because the first thing I plan on baking is a cheap frozen pizza; although I did threaten to make homemade pizza. Of course, won't make either until I get a new Pizza Pan! (The old one took an extended vacation to the garbage can after too many dents and rust stains and that nasty black buildup that refuses to come off the pans with less than a power sander).

Ok, that seems a fitting end to my writing "career," a complaint about dirty dishes and nobody loving me.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don;t stop posting! I read you!!!
And yes,I remember the wine and cookies, and the miller beer!

Anonymous said...

i read you too.