Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Daddy's Home, and Other Ramblings

What a week...
George went to the hospital last week, was transferred to Kalamazoo and had a pacemaker put in. He is feeling better now than he has for the last couple of years. I am feeling a lot of relief, I must admit. Just have to learn how to cook again, now that he is on a low-sodium, low-cholesterol diet. Low sodium wouldn't be a problem, I use every spice except salt it seems like; however, there are so many things out there that don't necessarily have salt but their sodium levels are outrageous. Even cottage cheese! Luckily, he is LOW not NO sodium; as long as *I* dish out the food he will be ok. Before, he would eat the entire container of cottage cheese; now, with me playing Cook of the Day, he gets a small serving (about half the recommended serving size) and that is all. Of course, last night I went "fancy"... I put some cottage cheese in a bowl, added some peach low-fat yogurt, mixed it all together and tossed some fresh-picked strawberries on top. Looked cute, and was even tasty enough that he ate every last bite. I know it sounds kind of yucky, but that's because I don't like cottage cheese myself. The finished result looked and tasted like a pudding. (Personally, I still prefer chocolate!)

Darrell and Savvy were here for the weekend, a great time was had by all. He fixed the neighbor's friend's kid's bike for him, mowed my lawn (which is what George was doing that sent him to the hospital in the first place), and gave the kids a good lecture on how to behave when Daddy got home from the Cardiology Unit. Savvy totally defeated my lectures to everyone in town that Darrell is NOT my boyfriend, by calling me Mom. But since she is one of my Adopted Kids, I can cope... after all, at one point she was my granddaughter, before her birthmother decided that she wasn't my stepdaughter after all. Talk about your one-branch family tree...

Anyway, the Weeks Family Reunion is in a couple of weeks, and I am hoping to get to attend this year. Have an old family photo that I am HOPING someone can identify. We know the man in it is Grandpa Smith, but the woman is unfamiliar. A pox on the people that don't write names and dates on the back of photos!!! (Or that do, then glue them in an album so that you can't read the backs!) For that matter, a pox on whoever got me interested in genealogy! With names like Smith, Jones, Brown, Weeks, and Carpenter on the family tree, Tylenol is a good investment...

Cheaper than tequila, too....

No comments: