Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Quick Update

Well, the local librarian is back from Rachel's funeral. I overheard her say that the post-funeral dinner is going to be in Athens, she just left the cemetery herself and didn't want to go clear back to Athens after having just been there for the funeral. So, I still have a little bit of time to get home before my mother returns from the whole shebang. At least, I expect her to attend the dinner, after all it is her sister's youngest daughter that was buried today.
But that doesn't make her my cousin, not after the past twenty years of being shunned, by everyone in her little circle of blood relatives.
Yes, I am angry. And sad. And still confused over how two people who were raised by the same parents (meaning my mom and her sister) could have such polar opposite attitudes and outlooks. Mom and I, we believe in family, extended and not-so-extended. Mom's sister, however, only believes in family if they are Not Embarassing. Boy, that definition sure lets me out in a hurry! As my teen daughters would be the first to tell you, I am the Queen of Causing Embarassment!! Hey, it's a skill...

2 comments:

Diana Troldahl said...

On the wall I have a cross stich. Families are for Caring and Sharing. Next to our outside door I have "Because Nice Matters"

They shunned you? Their loss!

Anonymous said...

mom. screw our family. aunt pat is a f*cked up hoe and if anything, we should shun her. i'd say more but here's the librarian pat.
later mommie...
love u,
alanda